My Girlfriend is Pregnant
So, your girlfriend just informed you that
she is pregnant. You've helped to create another human being. No
matter how you look at it, it's a big deal.
You probably never meant for this to
happen. Maybe you really care about her and feel responsible to do
something about it. Or maybe you didn't really want to stay with her
forever. Either way, the pressure is on and emotions are running
You may feel shocked, anxious and fearful.
Sometimes this leads to depression. You should find someone you
trust to talk to.
You may want to act like this didn't
happen and avoid dealing with it. But that won't make it go away.
You need to face the facts. Allow others to help you through this
difficult time. We can provide you with free, confidential, and non-judgemental
support. Call us at 1-888-LIFE AID. Support services are available
Supporting Your Girlfriend
Just as your girlfriend's pregnancy has
changed her life, your life will never be the same again, either.
But your life isn't over. You are a father. You can handle this
responsibility and we can help. Here are some pointers for
supporting your girlfriend and helping her to realize that you want
to be in this together with her.
- She needs to talk.
- Let her know you care about what she's feeling.
- Be patient---she's uncomfortable and tired.
- Be understanding---this is just as new to her as it is to you.
- Admit there is no way you could possibly understand exactly
what she's going through, but that you are there for her if she
- Make sure she gets what she needs---good food, sleep,
- Take on additional responsibilities.
- Let her know your thoughts, ideas and opinions.
- Let her know you are there for her and are a part of her
pregnancy---you are in this together.
- Go with her to talk to her parents.
- Drive her to appointments, sonograms, pregnancy centers and
- Protect her.
- Affirm her for her courage.
- Acknowledge her feelings and fears.
- Try to understand her feelings.
- Be sensitive to her physical/emotional condition.
- Be a gentleman.
- Read pregnancy books along with your partner to learn and
prepare for everything ahead of you.
- Discuss how you can help financially.
- Call us. We can help you and your girlfriend get the support
you need and make the decision that is right for you. Whether you
need support or just someone to discuss the options, we are here
for you. 1-888-LIFE AID.
If you don't agree
Perhaps you and your girlfriend do not
agree on what should be done. It won't help to pressure her to make
a quick decision. You cannot choose for her, but you can let her
know that you will support her. Ask her to think it over for a few
more days. It is better to slow down and take your time when making
important decisions. Ask if she will at least agree to talk with
someone else to discuss the pregnancy, parenting and adoption
support services available.
Even if she won't agree, you do not have
to go through this alone. We can provide free, confidential and non-judgemental
support for both of you.
Call us at 1-888-LIFE AID or
click here to find the counselor and services nearest you.